Friday, January 18, 2013

From the Back Burner - Day 17 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days

One of the many things I like about central California is the eucalyptus trees. They're unlike any tree on the east coast. They look green, silver and red all at the same time and the rustle they make in the wind is almost musical. I discovered that there are a few different kinds. My favorite have long oval leaves like the ones at William Hurst Memorial Beach which inspired this painting. As soon as I got out of the car there, I asked what is that amazing scent? They have an unusual scent as fresh as the ocean. I wanted to take a piece of that home with me to Florida so I went to a plant store to try to buy one. I could have spent all day there wandering among the flowers and plants that don't exist in Florida. When I found the plant expert and asked about buying a eucalyptus tree, he laughed and said they grow like weeds. No one buys them. I carried some cut branches home with me to paint but away from their home, the magic was gone.


Eucalyptus Trees - oil on canvas panel - 11x14
Buy this painting




2 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous. I love the alignment of your Eucalyptus trunks & the tonal nature of this piece -- with just that pop of color at just the right place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! Glad you joined in on the challenge.I'm also way too slow a painter but thought I'd see what turns up working faster.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...