Sunday, January 18, 2015

Plein Air in the Grey North

Chesapeake Fall - 9x12 oil - © T Grillo Laird
click here to purchase


It's been a long time since I've painted the fall season up north. It almost felt like I'd never done it, I've become so used to the colors and terrain of the Florida Gulf Coast.

This little piece was painted in Maryland at the studio of Hai-Ou Hou. The landscape, flatter than my coastal home was a challenge and I had to take my plein air piece and work it further in my studio to get anything close to acceptable. Like southern New Jersey which was my next stop for the following 7 weeks, the weather was consistently gray. I didn't mind the grey skies- they always set off fall color beautifully. But the lack of light became difficult to deal with. I'm happy to be back in my Florida sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...