Wednesday, January 30, 2013

From the Back Burner -Day 28 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days

 I might need to change the title of this post since I'm not going to make it to 30 paintings. This painting actually took 3 days to complete. I felt like working on something a little bit larger so, this one is 14x18.
The place I painted is almost magical to me. It's of Mission San Antonio de Padua. We took a back road to reach it on a rainy April day. From highway one in Big Sur - my favorite place to be - my husband and I traveled up a road that led over the coastal mountain range. What an amazing drive! You climb ever higher on a narrow dirt road with no guardrails, until the ocean and the highway are small and far below. I envy that lucky person whose home we passed high in those hills nestled between mountain tops. As we reached the summit of the range, it began snowing.  It's hard to describe the sensation of standing mountain-top in snow and swirling clouds, watching as bits of jewel blue ocean appear and disappear in the mist. It's so quiet up there!



As soon as we crossed over the top, it was full spring time in the valley on the other side.Trees were in flower and everything was a soft green.The mission itself sits on such a pristine piece of land, that I could really feel the sense of walking the same ground and seeing the same mission and mountains as the people who lived and worked there long ago.


April Rain in the Valley of the Oaks - oil on canvas panel - 14x18
click here to purchase print and help preserve this mission







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...